EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATION
1999-2002, PhD in Molecular Medicine, with a thesis entitled “Cytoplasmic Fusagene Vectors” under the supervision of Prof. Farzin Farzaneh and Dr Joop Gäken. In this study a novel approach was developed to discover new and/or tissue specific cytoplasmic and possibly nuclear proteases. Proteases play a key role in cell physiology. They are involved in protein maturation, activation and processing. Therefore, they can be employed in processing of therapeutic proteins or other applications. For instance, recently furin endoprotease has been exploited to express secretary (e.g. IL-2, IL-4) and transmembrane molecules (e.g. B7.1) from a single cistron (i.e. a single expression vector). Therefore, identifying the tissue specific endoproteases, which cleave the specific sequences, will help to better understand cell biology and use them in different protocols. The developed system in this study provides an easy, reproducible and reliable tool to identify novel cytoplasmic endoprotease. Then the feasibility of the developed system was tested in various cell lines such as THP-1, HeLa, Saos-2 and PA1 cells. This system can be used to develop a new strategy to express multiple gene products inside the cytoplasm, using a single expression cassette. In this method multiple proteins are expressed as a single fusion protein, which is cleaved post synthetically into its constitutive proteins by cytoplasmic endoproteases. This strategy can be used as a general method in gene therapy to express multiple proteins inside the cytoplasm simultaneously, without the disadvantages associated with other protocols (e.g. using IRES and multiple promoters).
1998-1999, MSc in Immunology. Conducted research and presented a thesis entitled “Development of Tumour Cell Vaccination for Acute Myeloid Leukaemia (a murine model)” in AML immunogene therapy field under the supervision of Prof. Farzin Farzaneh. In this study IL-2/B7.1 and GFP encoding viruses were produced. Then IL-2 and B7.1 were expressed in AML cells and measured as secretory and transmembrane proteins by FACS and ELISA, respectively. The infected cells were irradiated and in mixed lymphocyte reaction –MLR- their ability to stimulate T cells proliferation was examined.
1984-1990: Pharm.D; Doctorate of pharmacy from Faculty of Pharmacy at Tabriz University of Medical Sciences. Conducted research and presented a thesis entitled “Formulation of nalidixic acid suspension” under the supervision of Prof. Barzegar Jalali. In this study different controlled flocculation protocols including chemical bridge, polymeric bridge, zeta potential reduction and liquid bridge methods were used to make stable suspensions. In addition, non-newtonian carriers were used to make stable suspensions
1990-present: Full-time junior lecturer at the Faculty of Pharmacy, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences. Awarded a scholarship in order to study PhD from 1999-2002.
Full-time assistant-professor at the Faculty of Pharmacy, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, 2003-2008.
Full-time associate-professor at the Faculty of Pharmacy, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, 2008-present
A patent numbered as GB2390606 on the development of pHEJI plasmid (A Publication).
A patent numbered as GB0428590.4 on the development of GAL4-VP16/TK-Zeo system.
An Iranian patent numbered as 30177 on development of recombinant bacteria for expression of human interleukin-2.
An Iranian patent numbered as 30178 on development of prokaryotic expression vector for expression of human interleukin-2.
Department of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology in Faculty of Pharmacy, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences. 2003.
Department of Molecular Medicine in Tabriz University of Medical Sciences. 2008.
Cell Culture laboratory in Faculty of Pharmacy, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences. 2004.
Pharmaceutical Biotechnology laboratory in Faculty of Pharmacy, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences. 2004
Molecular Biology laboratory in Drug Applied Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences. 2003.
- Alipour S. PhD thesis. Development of DNA biosensors for human interleukin-2 encoding DNA. Pournaghi Azar M H, Hejazi M S. 2008.
- Shaiegh J. PhD thesis. Genotyping of Iranian isolates of Pasturella multocidea. Zahraee M. Hejazi MS. 2008.
- Sehatnia B. Development of DNA biosensor for detection and discrimination of HPV DNA. Samzi R E, Hejazi M S. 2008.
- Parvizi M. Vet Med thesis. Evaluation of IL-4 promoter region genetic polymorphism in patients with relapsing relapsing leishmaniosis. Hejazi M S. 2007.
- Lotfipour F. PhD thesis. Employment of cytoplasmic endoproteases for cleavage of fusion proteins with target therapy goal. Hejazi M S, Zarrin Tan M H. 2006.
- Haghshenas B. MSc thesis. Construction of prokaryotic expression vector for IL-12 for periplasmic expression of recombinant protein. Hejazi M S., Baghban B. 2006.
- Azarbaijani R. MSc thesis. Cloning and sequencing of cholesterol oxidase encoding gene from Streptomyces minoensis. Hejazi M S, Kazemitabar K. 2006.
- Barzeghar A. MSc thesis. Construction of prokaryotic expression vector for IL-4 and evaluation of recombinant protein expression inside the periplasm of the recombinant bacteria. Hejazi M S, Mohammadi A. 2006.
- Zereshki Noubar L. MSc thesis. Cloning and sequencing of cholesterol oxidase encoding gene from Streptomyces narbonensis. Hejazi M S, Babaeian N. 2006.
- Mesbahfar M. PharmD thesis. Construction of prokaryotic expression vector for mouse interleukin-4 and evaluation of induce able recombinant protein expression in E.coli. Hejazi M S. 2006.
- Moharrami M R. PharmD thesis. Cloning and sequencing of tannase encoding DNA from Bacillus cereus. Hejazi M S. 2006.
- Aminnejad F. MSc thesis. Study of genetic diversity of Pyrenophora graminea isolates in North-West Iran. Babai Ahari A, Hejazi M S.2005.
- Shafag A. PharmD thesis. Evaluation of interleukin-10 promoter region polymorphism in Leishmaniasis (comparison of IL-10 promoter region polymorphism in drug resistant patients and their relatives). Hejazi M S, Babalou Z, Rafati S. 2005.
- Jabbari H. PharmD thesis. Cloning and expression of human interleukin-2 in eukaryotic cells. Hejazi M S. 2005.
- Hoseini A R. PharmD thesis. Construction of pB7G4VP plasmid and evaluation of B7.1/GAL4-VP16 chimeric recombinant protein expression in the membrane of eukaryotic cells. Hejazi M S. 2005.
- Karimi F. MSc thesis. Sub-cloning of hIL-2 encoding cDNA in prokaryotic expression vector and evaluation of IL-2 expression in E.coli. Hejazi M S, Baghban Kohnerouz B. 2004.
- Azizian P. PharmD thesis. Formulation of cardioplegia pareteral products and comparison of them with foreigner samples. Hejazi M S, Parvizi R, Jelvehgari M. 1999.
- Tghizadeh N. PharmD thesis. Formulation of captopril matrix tablets. Hasanzadeh D, Nokhodchi A, Hejazi M S. 1999.
- Jafari L. PharmD thesis. Evaluation of chemical stability of diltiazem hydrochloride solutions. Barzegar Jalali M, Hasanzadeh D, Hejazi M S. 1999.
- Malaekeh Nikuei B. PharmD thesis. Comparison of analytical methods of H2 blocker products (cimetidine, ranitidine, famotidine). Hasanzadeh D, Hejazi M S.1999.
- Ghochi Eskandari N. PharmD thesis. Evaluation of release rate of diltiazem hydrochloride from matrices. Hasanzadeh D, Hejazi M S. 1999.
- Safdarian D. PharmD thesis. Evaluation of nalidixic acid suspensions stability and their drug release rate. Barzegar Jalali M, Hejazi M S.1995